Saturday, October 3, 2009

Talking Points 3 Carlson

1."Gay men are confirmed in their role as the Other---a bit silly, prone to emotional and hysterical outbursts, narcissistic, obsessed with sex and fancy clothes, and inhabiting an exotic and "decadent" life on the margins."
This quote struck me because this is how gay men have been portrayed in film and TV my whole life. This is a comfortable stereotype of gay men that the culture of power has accepted. It is like how Johnson said, "The trouble is produced by a world organized in ways that encourage people to use difference to include or exclude, reward or punish, credit or discredit, elevate or oppress, value or devalue, leave alone or harass." No reasonable person would deny that gays have been excluded, punished, discredited, oppressed, devalued and harassed in our society.
2. "The challenge is to engage straight men in a deconstructive analysis of how they understand "being straight" in ways that involve treating women and gays as Others."
I think this is an important point because straight men are often very uncomfortable about homosexuality when it comes to gay men. I think it's also important to point out that many straight men view "feminine" gay women favorably but are uncomfortable with "butch" lesbians. You can see how society, as a whole, has adopted these feelings that stem from straight males. I don't know if our male dominated society is willing to fully embrace a strong gay male and not the effeminate stereotype that is seen in the movies and on TV.
3." ...but we have a responsibility as public educators in a democratic society to engage them in a dialogue in which all voices get heard or represented and in which gay students and teachers feel free to "come out" and find their own voices."
This is the closing sentence of the whole piece and I think it is an important one to end on. It is exactly what we are doing in class. We are trying to understand and appreciate differences, not by blind acceptance, but through open discussion and dialogue. It is easy to accept something because it is politically correct but it's more important to arrive at the same conclusion through understanding.

I think Carlson made me think back to when I was a kid and "gaylord" was the big insult of choice. I went to school at a time when kids didn't "come out" because it wasn't an option. I remember I got my ear pierced when I was eleven ('87) and even though I made sure that I got the so called "non-gay" ear pierced I still got called a "gaylord". I remember straight kids getting beat up for being labeled a "homo" so no one who was actually gay would come out and say they were. As I got towards the end of high school I think it began to be slightly more acceptable, but I still can't remember any openly gay male students in school. I think it is great that kids have more of an opportunity to be themselves today, even though being gay still must be difficult in our society.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with what you said about quote number two. I think straight men have a harder time accepting homosexuals than women. I also find it more common for males to have issues of homophobia than women. Since men have gender privilege over women, and such a large amount of straight men have problems accepting homosexuals, I think it is going to be very hard for society as a whole to reach the point where homosexuals, as well as women, are seen as more than the "others".

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog... in my lifetime I have seen the same thing where gay is an insult... someone will say "that's so gay ". This obviously makes it nearly impossible for students to reveal who they truly are because it is frowned upon by their peers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Evan said makes me realize how many times throughout middle school, high school, and college I have heard people say "that's so gay" to mean stupid or annoying. Also, how about the recent "no homo!" craze? It seems that any sort of physical contact between two men is acceptable "straight" behavior so long as it is excused via the "no homo" policy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan and Eric hit it right on the head. It is just thrown out there all the time like it's no big deal. But imagine how much tougher it must make it for them, when in the first place some people are nervous, and then you have other students saying stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with you and pretty much everyone who commented on this. People tend to use these words way to freely in our generation. We definitely need to monitor our speaking because you never know who you could offend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember those days in high school -- "gaylord" being thrown around so freely. I am not so sure it is very different now! At least there are Gay-Straight Alliances, but still a lot fo name calling!!

    ReplyDelete