Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome

1."To value another is to recognize diversity as the norm. It establishes the equal worth of all schoolchildren, a sense that we all benefit from each other, and the fundamental right of every student to belong."
I think this sums up the entire reason for inclusion classrooms and the need to deconstruct the old "norm" and create a new one of diversity and acceptance. The story that preceded this quote was of Anne and her placement in a school setting where she was unhappy. Although it occured after her schooling the old norm was reinforced when she was placed at a job that she didn't care for. Shayne cared enough to include Anne in her placement, by listening to what she was passionate about and finding her work at the movie store. I work with the public and meet many people with disabilities and I find that some of my co-workers approach passengers with disabilities like they already know exactly how to assist them, instead of asking them how they want to be helped. You have to care enough about the answer in order to ask the question.

2."All people with Down syndrome are happy"
I like this comment about how people with Down syndrome are always perceived as being happy all the time. This stereotype serves to lump people with Down syndrome together, and makes them less human and more character-like. If we think about typical people we encounter on a daily basis, we know that they are definitely not always happy and it sets people with Down syndrome apart from everyone else. I am sure if you take the time to meet and talk with people with Down syndrome, it won't take you long to find out that they share the same emotional ups and downs as the rest of us. It is funny how you just accept certain stereotypes without really thinking about how silly and untrue they are.

3."We have our basic core in common; We both love music and we both believe that everybody is part of the same family."
I found this to be a great connection between the concept and reconceptualizing Down syndrome. Here John's friend talks about how they relate to each other in that they both believe in the same fundamental love of music and regard for human oneness. It is so easy to get caught up in the complexity of life and I think it to strip it all away and connect on such a personal level with anyone is wonderful. I have a personal story that kind of goes along with this very point. In High School psychology class the teacher made us watch a movie called "Bill" and it was kind of a cheesy made for TV movie. The movie was about a mentally challenged man who is released from an institution and tries to make his way in the world. In the Movie Bill's whole goal in life was to become a " regular good man". I remember thinking to myself that here you have this guy who is supposedly less than a human being, and yet he has discovered the true meaning of life. He just wanted to be a " regular good man" and be treated the way he treated others. When I was 19 I decided to get "RGM" tattooed on the back of my neck as a reminder to me of who I want to be. I have not seen the movie since and I don't want to because I am not sure if it would be as spiritual today as I remember it being back then. I ultimately failed the class because the teacher made me uncomfortable, but at least I learned a life lesson. I learned more about life from the true story of a "mentally challenged" man than from the rest of my high school experience combined.

1 comment: